Cryopreservation is the process of freezing tissue. In the case of sperm cryopreservation, a man's semen is frozen for future use. A sperm cryobank is a facility that collects, stores and freezes the sperm
For example, you may want to consider cryobanking if:
- You will be undergoing a treatment for cancer which may impair your sperm production or quality (e.g. chemotherapy, radiation).
- You will be taking any ongoing medications which may impair your sperm production or quality (e.g. sulfasalazine, methotrexate).
- You will be undergoing any procedure which could affect your testes, prostate, or your ability to ejaculate (e.g. prostate resection, colon surgery or retroperitoneal lymph node dissection).
- You have a medical condition which is beginning to affect your ability to ejaculate (e.g. multiple sclerosis, diabetes).
- You are undergoing a vasectomy.
- You are entering a line of work where you may be introduced to reproductive toxins.
- As part of your infertility treatment, you will be undergoing a procedure where sperm may be easily harvested (e.g. vas reconstruction, testicular biopsy). These sperm can then be stored and used later in conjunction with advanced reproductive techniques if alternative infertility treatments do not prove successful.
This list is by no means exhaustive and we encourage you to discuss the issue with your doctor.
M.A.Z.E. Laboratories is a proud member of LIVESTRONG's Sharing Hope Program. As a participating center in the Sharing Hope Program, M.A.Z.E. Laboratories works with LIVESTRONG to increase access to fertility preservation services for cancer patients. To apply or for more information, please visit www.livestrong.org/fertilehope.